I had a great beach day yesterday 🙂 Here’s the video recap Beach Day Clip
As you can see, I had a lot of fun.
Some may argue…too much fun to stay in ketosis.
If you have been following this blog, you probably know that I’m on my 13th day of a nutritional ketosis experiment.
Yesterday’s beach trip was all laughs, fun, and a little booze.
How can this be!?
It’s pretty simple, as long as you completely minimize carbohydrates from other sources and are an “active drunk” then you can maintain both a caloric deficit AS WELL as ketosis.
Although alcohol is derived from starch and sugar, the fermentation process converts sugars into ethanol which DO NOT increase blood sugar. In fact, ethanol creates a sharp decease in blood sugar. Hard liquors by themselves do not contain any carbohydrates at all.
Why do people gain weight when they drink?
It is common for people to gain weight when they drink socially for several reasons:
- drinks are often times accompanied by fried foods, fast food, and sweet foods… which are all dense in calories and put us at a metabolic disadvantage.
- although hard liquor does not contain carbs, most of its mixers DO! If you mix carbohydrate free vodka with orange juice (screwdriver) then you have now increased your drinks carbohydrate value to 20 grams!!
- alcohol STOPS fat oxidation (fat burn). Since alcohol is a toxin that your body quickly wants to rid itself of, all other metabolic functions are put on hold once alcohol is introduced to the system.
- alcohol DOES CONTAIN CALORIES. About 70 calories/1 oz serving. That can really add up if you are binge drinking and it can especially hike up your calorie intake if you are drinking and eating.
- since alcohol decreases blood sugar it causes your body to have intense cravings to stabilize blood glucose. (benefit of being in ketosis when drinking :P. You don’t have to worry about glucose since you still have ketone bodies to work off of )
How to avoid weight gain while drinking
- EAT AND DRINK SEPARATELY! This way your body won’t store food in your system as fat while it process the alcohol. Wait about 1-2 hours after drinking to eat anything and don’t eat for at least 2 hours prior to drinking.
- Choose calorie free mixers or no mixer at all.
- decrease dalily calories if you know you are going to drink. “save up” drinking calories.
- Be sure to have low glycemic food choices ready for when the post drinking cravings strike.
- Drink lots of water to help your body detoxify itself so that you can get on with burning fat for fuel.
- Drink only plain, unflavored liquors. stay away from liqueur which has added sugar (ex: malibu rum…stick to captain)
I really hope this was helpful to you. For years I was afraid of drinking because I didn’t know exactly what the effects would be on my metabolism, but now that I know the facts I can confidently use these strategies to ensure that I stay lean while I enjoy my social life. I am not suggesting that drinking regularly is healthy or useful for weightless. I am suggesting that you should LIVE YOUR LIFE to the fullest!
If you enjoyed reading this article, please share it, like it, comment on it, and subscribe to this blog as well as other BAD ASH Training social media. Doing so really encourages me to keep making these.
For more info about living a BAD ASS LIFE, visit http://www.badashtrianing.com and text BADASS to 42828
Make it a great day babes ❤